Special thanks to David Guas, a pastry chef, for allowing me to share this recipe which was already eggless.
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 1 hr(s) 30 min
Oven Temp: 350
Pie Dough (click here for video on how to make pie dough):
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces [cold means out of the fridge]
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening [Crisco has one that is trans-fat free]
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ice water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (packed) light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 6 (1/2 pound each) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Scraped seeds from 1/2 split vanilla bean
- To make pie dough: In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Add butter and shortening, tossing gently until all pieces are coated with flour. With a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, drizzling over flour mixture and tossing with a fork just until dough begins to hold together. Turn dough out onto a smooth surface and gather into a ball. Wrap in plastic; flatten into a disk. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- To make salted pecan crumble: In a food processor, combine flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, and 1/3 cup pecans; process until pecans are ground. Add butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Transfer crumble to a medium bowl; add remaining 1/3 cup pecans and, using your hands, crumble and squeeze mixture to form larger clumps. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- On a lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of waxed paper, roll out dough into an 1/8-inch-thick 12-inch round. Fold in half and ease gently into a 9-inch pie pan. Unfold dough, letting pastry overhang edge. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold under and flute or crimp edge. Refrigerate shell. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make apple filling: In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and nutmeg until blended. Add apples and zest; toss until apples are evenly coated. Remove pie shell from refrigerator and spoon apple filling into it, mounding filling in center of pie. Sprinkle crumble evenly over top of pie, gently pressing into place; place pie on a baking sheet.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours, or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Dust top of pie with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Serve with vanilla whipped cream.
- To make vanilla whipped cream: In a large bowl with a hand-held mixer, beat heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and the scraped seeds from 1/2 split vanilla bean until soft billowy peaks form.
Total Fat: 22g
Total Carbohydrate: 67g
I came across the nutritional and directions information in the November issue of Redbook Magazine. To see their version, a picture of what the pie looks like, and a video on how to make the dough click here. They also have a neat tool that allows you to increase or decrease serving size.