This recipe finder website was mentioned in the food section of the LA Times yesterday. It is a recipe finder created by the US Department of Agriculture. I am really impressed by it. It has various ways for searching, including by ingredient.
I have some bell peppers left in the fridge that I want use up before they go bad. I just typed in "bell pepper", and this very cool recipe for tortilla pizzas came up among several others. I am so impressed that they even provide a breakdown of cost! You can also get the instructions in Spanish, print it out to the size you prefer, and automatically create a shopping list of the ingredients that can be combined with their other recipes!
|Serving Size: 1 pizza |
Yield: 6 servings
Time: 25 to 30 minutes
12 small flour or corn tortillas
vegetable oil or margarine
1 can (16 ounce) refried beans
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 ounces diced fresh or canned green chili peppers
6 Tablespoons red taco sauce
3 cups chopped vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, and red bell pepper
1/2 cup cheese, shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/2 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
1. Brush one side of each of two tortillas with water. Press the wet sides of the tortillas together to form a thick crust for the pizza.
2. Brush the outside of the tortillas with a small amount of oil or margarine. Evenly brown both sides in a heated frying pan. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Set aside.
3. Heat refried beans, onion, and half of the chili peppers together in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla pizza. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon taco sauce, then top with 1/2 cup of the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon chili peppers, and 1 Tablespoon cheese for each pizza.
5. Return to frying pan and heat until cheese melts. Top with cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per Recipe: $ 3.75
Per Serving: $ 0.62
Healthy Latino Recipes Made with Love
California Latino 5-A-Day Campaign
California Department of Health Services
click here for the recipe finder website