I spoke with the business manager for La Serenata restaurants to learn the following information. La Serenata servers Mexican food and is located at 3 locations in Southern California (Downtown LA, West LA, Santa Monica):
- At each location they have a separate vegetarian menu that you can request.
- All cheese is made with microbial rennet (their vendor confirmed this).
- The manager stressed that you should always let your server know that you are vegetarian, because at times the chef may put pork or chicken stock in the rice and beans.
- Nothing is frozen.
- No lard is used. All fried items (including the chips) are fried in olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Salsa and Pico de Gallo is vegetarian.
- Guacamole is vegetarian and without eggs (some restaraunts use eggs in their guacamole but La Serenata does not).
- They also provide vegetarian catering.
For the West LA location:
- All the vegetarian items are without eggs except for the chile relleno, which normally contains eggs in the batter. However, If requested in advance (eg, the day before) the chile relleno can be made without eggs.
- Additional vegetarian and eggless side dishes/appetizers: potato taquitos, empanadas de platanos, and vegetarian quesadillas. The flautas are prepared without eggs and can be requested vegetarian.
Baja Bud's Del Norte
Chipotle Mexican Grill