Here is Chef Wyrick's recipe for the Smoked Mushroom Roulade that he mentions in his article Entertaining Non-Vegetarians. His second article in the series is coming soon!
Type: Main Dish Serves: 4
Time to Prepare: 30 minutes + 4 hours of marinade time
- 2 cups of cubed French bread
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- ¼ of an onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. of olive oil
- ¼ cup of walnuts
- ½ of a green apple, diced
- 1 tbsp. of paprika
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- ½ tsp. of freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup of vegetable stock
- 4 very large portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups of red wine
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. of freshly grated nutmeg
- Olive oil for brushing
- Pinch of salt
- Apple wood chips for smoking the mushrooms
- Option: ¼ cup of green olives stuffed with sundried tomatoes for the stuffing
- Remove the stems and gills from the portabellas.
- Mince the garlic.
- Mix the garlic, nutmeg, and red wine together.
- Marinade the portabella caps in the wine solution for at least 4 hours, covered.
- Soak the apple wood chips in water for at least one hour.
- Towards the end of the marinade, prepare the stuffing.
- Chop the onion, slice the celery, and dice the apple.
- Saute these on medium high heat in the 1 tsp. of olive oil until the onion starts to brown.