Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large or 3 medium onions, sliced or chopped
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/4 cup flour (any kind)
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1/4 cup tamari (tamari is a healthier version of soy sauce)
1 tablespoon mustard
French bread (1 slice per serving),or 1/4 cup croutons per serving
Parmesan cheese (or nondairy parmesan subsitute) - optional
- Place oil in large soup pot and heat over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add onions and garlic and saute until brown (this can take up to 20 minutes).
- Add flour and mustard, mix well.
- Stir in water and tamari or soy sauce, and bring to a boil .
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until onions are tender.
- Before serving, place a slice of French bread or croutons in the bottom of each soup bowl.
- Ladle soup on top, sprinkly with parmesan cheese or substitute and serve at once.
click here for additional recipes